Critical Reflection



At the start of this course, I expressed my goal for developing the "ability to confidently present/pitch an idea to a large group of people". This was because presentation opportunities were rare as compared to written assignments where I have previously studied. However, this module has given me a platform to practice my public-speaking capabilities through the technical report assignment in a professional setting. Comprehensive and prompt feedback from Professor Blackstone regarding my quirks and presentation style allowed me to be more proficient at making a good pitch/presentation and has enabled me to articulate my team’s ideas to the class clearly and convincingly.

My team’s project proposal, although fitting the criteria for "sustainability" and "engineering problem" to an extent, was plagued with the lack of field information and our lack of expertise. Our main challenge during the initial stages of project conceptualization was to therefore source for supportive field information on the engineering problem we know to exist as well as to gather complex geotechnical characteristics and behavior of Singapore soil. Through the process of researching, I have come to appreciate and enjoy the iterative process that correlates with crafting a technical report - being open to unfamiliar ideas. I have found that research is crucial to developing a well-rounded technical report alongside the valuable perspectives from my groupmates, industry experts and researchers.

These 13 weeks of effective communication have made me better able to edit both grammar and language mistakes in my work and of others. It has also brought to attention a weakness I never thought I had in crafting a logical and convincing argument in words. Although my written communication is still severely lacking, I hope that consistent practice through my holidays will help reshape and polish my written communications to a satisfactory standard.

Lastly, this module complements other technical modules and educates us on the importance of being proficient at communicating our ideas, which is crucial for our success as engineers in the future.

Thank you, Professor Blackstone, for your continuous guidance and feedback. I will continue to work on my written communications after my hectic curriculum comes to an end.

Comments

  1. Thank you, Brien, for this highly detailed and well organized critical reflection (and for the various accolades). You provide clear supporting info as you document some of the work you did during the term. I'm especially impressed by the learning you share in terms of the project/research and the value that you express for the review process and feedback. It's always a pleasure encountering a student who realizes that for development to occur, there really needs to be an open corridor for honest dialogue, some of which can seem critical.

    I also appreciate the discussion of your learning in terms of the pitching/presentations. I'm glad you feel that you have developed your skills in that regard, and that together with the other skills practiced, all will help you going forward.

    Thank you once again for all your hard work, Brien, and for your clear leadership in asking questions and resolving doubts, and for the positive attitude you showed throughout the term. I've said to a few of you guys that this has been one of my favorite class groups at SIT, and I really mean that.

    Best wishes as you continue your learning journey!

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts